HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Friday, March 1, 2013

Whoopie Pies


 
About a month or so ago Lillie and Lola had their first whoopie pie. I will eat one if it's offered to me but I am not an enormous fan of them so I was surprised at how much they LOVED them! The ones they first had were from Fresh Market so I thought it would be fun to make some homemade ones with them later that week. Over the last few weeks we have tried a few different recipes and here is what they've liked best (it's a mix of two different recipes with some minor alterations to each).




For the cookie part we used a recipe from Cookies and Cups and very slightly altered it. She has a recipe for cake batter filling and cookie dough filling both of which I cannot wait to try!
  • 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 5 Tbsp butter – room temp
  • 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
  • 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup buttermilk
For directions on mixing them up and baking them up you can click here

And now for the filling:
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
  • 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme (we used a tiny bit less than a full jar)
Beat together the butter and confectioners' sugar on medium speed and then add in the vanilla, salt and marshmallow creme. After that it helps to put it in the fridge for about half an hour or so and then you just dallop a nice sized scoop onto each cookie and then place another one on top!

 I scooped my filling into a large ziplock bag and cut a little hole in one of the corners and squirted it out into nice neat little dallops...or at least that was my plan - haha! Lillie and Lola helped me so I didn't end up with a single one that was as "pretty" looking as I had hoped for photographing, but oh well, they had fun!

the bottle and straw are from The TomKat Studio

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend! I will hopefully be back later this weekend with our first of two Easter chalkboards and then after that will show you my Easter tablescape as part of a Spring Thing I'm joining along with some other wonderful bloggers!


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful images and lovely recipe! Looking forward to joining the Spring Thing! Have a great weekend and thank you for this wonderful blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I have never had a Whoopie Pie! Your recipe sounds yummy. I will have to make a batch....maybe this weekend. Your photos are beautiful Jennifer. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been down with a cold this week and a friend of mine brought me some homemade chicken soup and cookies...and they included her homemade whoopie pies...Love them!!!..will have to show her your recipe!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful. Can't wait to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, they look scrumptious, might need to give them a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoopie it's the weekend! Can't wait to try this recipe out. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to the spring-thing. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoopie pies have never looked so good. Always love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Must make now! I have all the ingredients except the marshmallow fluff. No wonder your girls liked them, they resemble Oreos. I have two girls, too. I know mine will love these! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really have me craving spring with these! I'm so over winter this year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome recipe! It seems so delicious!
    Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά #25 :)
    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...